Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Special needs adoption from a Jewish perspective.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

LGBT and Down syndrome

I have been an LGBT ally as far back as I have been aware of LGBT issues. I have always believed that people's consensual, private lives are nobody else's business.  Religions may have something to say about it, but a person's religion is not really anybody else's business either.  If a person's religion conflicts with anything else about their lives, it is up to them how to resolve that, and different people can and will make different choices.

Still, I feel that I have, if anything, become a stauncher supporter of LGBT issues since becoming involved in the disability world, and Down syndrome in particular.  I feel like there are strong parallels there, which I would like to explore in greater depth.

Right off the top, we can see that both LGBT and people with T21 are marginalized minorities.  Both groups have made great headway in mainstream society, but there is still a great backdrop of prejudice, where "retarded" and "gay" are tolerated insults where racial and other slurs would not be.  Both are conditions which are present at birth, and both have been met with emphatic efforts at "normalization" under the guise of "love".  In both cases, a part of the human psyche works differently than the mainstream. In T21 it is cognition, in LGBT is is sexual attraction.   In both cases, what is called for is not "fixing", but helping individuals participate fully in society on their own terms.  Individuals who wish to be seen as whole people, not defined in terms of their biology. Individuals who wish to love and contribute without the artificial, disabling barriers erected by a conformist society.

Two days ago was World Down Syndrome Day. In honor of it, I'd like to share this video:


Be happy!



4 comments:

  1. I don't think it's a coincidence that I found your blog today! I just posted a FB status about the despicable reaction to World Vision announcing that they would hire gay employees! I am a Christian and I feel exactly the way that you do. It is not my job to judge others or inflict my religious beliefs upon them. It is only my job to love them. I have been enlightened to the plight of the gay community ( and other minorities) precisely because of my experiences concerning the discrimination of people with disabilities-one of which is my daughter! BTW- I found your blog at Love that Max and am following you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was nervous when I made this post that some people would resent my analogy -- in either direction! But I think that there is an important point to be made in seeing the fundamental humanity in those that we have been conditioned to see as "less than". I find it ironic when religious people who will advocate heartily for their children with disabilities -- and argue that they do not need "fixing" -- do not show the same compassion for people with nonconforming sexuality. Likewise, it would be great if LGBTQ's and other marginalized groups would tap into their experience to see people with disabilities as allies. I am so glad that you do not conform to the stereotype!

      I hope Bethany is doing well!

      Delete
  2. And an even more interesting question, how do people deal with LGBT adults who happen to have Down syndrome??? They exist as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I was JUST thinking about that today.... If one of your kids with DS had a non-conforming sexuality, how do you think they would communicate this? How would parents and teachers react?

      Delete

Jewish Bloggers
Powered By Ringsurf